The Coldwell Banker D’Ann Harper, REALTORS® San Marcos office hosted the Cottage Kitchen which benefits the Heritage Association of San Marcos. The Charles S. Cock Museum was transformed into the Cottage Kitchen on Friday, February 23rd. They enjoyed a delicious meal, complete with either tea or coffee and a choice of homemade desserts. The real estate agents from the San Marcos office gave their time to make sure folks were served and fed. Their efforts resulted in raising $480.00 for the San Marcos Heritage Association.
In 1867 Charles S. Cock, a pioneer and former mayor of San Marcos, built the home that is now located at 400 E. Hopkins. Originally the home was constructed of Pine, Elm, Cedar, and Native Limestone. One hundred years later it received a Texas Historical Marker medallion. Then in 1973, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Later that same year, the San Marcos Bicentennial Commission initiated the restoration of the home, completing the project in 1976.
The Heritage Association, which was created to continue the work of the Bicentennial Commission, opened the house for tours, receptions, and luncheons throughout 1976. Also, the Heritage Guild, a committee of the Association, began offering luncheons on Fridays. The tradition of the “Cottage Kitchen” continues to this day in what is now the oldest residential building in San Marcos.
The Charles S. Cock Hosue Museum features period furniture and collectibles dating back as early as the late 18th century. Several Cock family pieces, including the family bible, photos of Charles Cock and his twin daughters, artwork and local historic photos.