NutritionFacts.org Recipe for the Holidays
Recipe and article courtesy of NutritionFacts.org
Here is a tasty appetizer idea from Ann and Jane Esselstyn. Give these Smoky Little Devils a try this holiday season!
12 small red potatoes (roughly the size of large walnuts or small clementines)
Pinch of smoked paprika, for garnish
1 green onion, finely sliced, for garnish
Baby kale leaves, for garnish (optional)
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 large cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1½ tablespoons brown mustard, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Set a steamer insert in a saucepan and add about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil over high heat; then place the potatoes in the steamer basket and steam for about 20 minutes. Plunge them into cold water in a big bowl or just run cold water over them.
2. In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, garlic, lemon, mustard, pepper, and 2 Tablespoons water. Process until uniformly smooth.
3. Slice each potato in half. With the small end of a melon-baller or a small spoon, scoop out a hole in the center. (Save the little scooped-out potato balls to put into a salad or just pop them into your mouth!)
4. Fill each hole with hummus. Sprinkle with smoked paprika. It is easiest to take a tiny bit between your fingers and sprinkle just enough for the color to show.
5. Garnish with green onions or, for a really fun look, use a tinybaby kale leaf as a “sail” in each little potato “boat.”
Recipe from: The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook
Follow us on Instagram for more recipe ideas: https://www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/